Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Pre-season Day 3: observations and eye candy

Televised pre-season hockey is a beautiful thing, my friends. I thoroughly enjoyed the Leafs/Bruins game tonight; it had speed, skill, fisticuffs...the only thing missing was an appearance from two of my favourite European-North American hockey hunks (who also happen to have a simmering dislike for one and other), Mike Komisarek and Milan Lucic:



*Swoon*
These two teams are going to be fun to watch this season, not to mention nice to look at.

The strange thing is, I sort of found myself rooting for the Leafs. Are Brian Burke's promises of "pugnacity" and "truculence" finally luring me in? My grandfather would be so proud.

CBC announced three new additions to their HNIC broadcasting team today: former Canadiens coach Guy Carbonneau, former New Jersey Devils goaltender Kevin Weekes, and Glenn Healy, who returns to Hockey Night after a short stint with the NHLPA. I don't think anyone CBC employs could ever irritate me as much as Marc Crawford and his colour commentary. Except maybe PJ Stock.

In other news, I also watched the Oilers-Islanders game online (don't fret, I got the feed from the Isles' site) and it was a bit of a snoozer until the third period. NYI was leading 1-0 when all of a sudden, Dustin Penner decided to put down the cheeseburger and score a goal. After that, the whole game went to Hell in a hand basket. Sloppy play led to the go-ahead-goal by Sam Gagner, but the Islanders would tie it up five minutes later. It looked as if we were headed for OT until a couple of bone-headed New Yorkers failed to clear the puck after a harmless-looking play around the net, while Sheldon Souray lurked a few feet away waiting to pot the game-winner.

John Tavares looked alright in his pre-season debut, he had a few good chances but was credited with only one shot on goal, one blocked shot, and one giveaway and was -1 in 22:50 of ice time. He did dominate the faceoff circle, however, winning 10 of 16 draws.

I know I take pre-season far too seriously when I can't stand the fact that the Oilers are undefeated.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog